Friday 27 April 2012

Berry Nice Indeed!


Budino di Riso con Limone Verde, Cocco e Composta di Frutti di Bosco e Cumquat
Lime & Coconut Rice Pudding with Berry + Cumquat Compote


Yes, there is such a thing as sweet comfort food and this is what it looks like. At least it is what it looked like this evening- and it tasted every bit as good as this looks too! I think one of the most important aspects of comfort food is that it is easy to make and it doesn't come much easier than this! Or more comforting for that matter!

So grab your saucepans and a couple of handfuls of rice, some frozen berries and the juice and zest of 1 lime and join me in making this dishful of fruity and creamy goodness... I promise you won't regret it!


The rice pudding was made by boiling a short-grain pudding rice in milk, together with a little cinnamon, cardamom and the juice and zest of 1 lime. I sweetened mine with Stevia- healthy and fantastic! But feel free to stick to sugar if you prefer- and also if you have less problems maintaining your slender figures than I do with mine!

I cooked and continuously stirred the rice for around 20 minutes- it all depends on which type and size of rice grain you are using. Keep stirring until the rice begins to lose its structure and develops a creamy and smoother texture. I added no cream or anything like that to mine- it tastes wonderful as it is and is a good feeling to know that what you are eating is sensible and healthy, whilst being delicious and fun!


I made the berry compote in less than 10 minutes too... and I know there are lots of great fresh fruits and vegetables out there in the world for us to chose from, but having some frozen mixed berries at home sure is a helpful thing when it comes to deciding to be spontaneous. I started out though, with 4-5 cumquats, which I diced finely and sautéed in a little bit of butter, with just a hint of grated ginger, a tiny pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of honey. 

Next, I added a couple of handfuls of frozen berries, a shot of Cointreau and a little orange juice... and of course this would still work if you were cooking for children- just omit the alcohol and it will be fine with just the juice on its own. I then added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of instant custard powder. After stirring this in well, the juice began to thicken nicely. I added a little milk and reduced the heat to a simmer and let the compote thicken and reduce for 3-4 minutes.

This tastes wonderful hot or cold and is instant sunshine and good mood stuff... you're going to like it I'm sure! I know that I did in any case!


No comments:

Post a Comment