Thursday 20 August 2015

Hong Kong Foody!

Insalata di Vermicelli di Riso, Cavolo Rapa & Carote con Arachide & Menta
Rice Noodle Salad with Kohlrabi & Carrot, Mint & Peanuts

 

What? You don't know how to cook Asian food!?! Why, good heavens- neither do I... But it's never stopped me from making my supper, so it needn't stop you either!

No, this is not an authentic Asian dish, it is just what I made for my supper this evening. And it was so tasty and so simple to make that I feel very fine indeed with that... And if you make this, I am guessing that you might feel the same way too!



You will need a few staples of Asian ingredients for this, but nothing too freaky! And the best thing is, other than boiling a kettle of water, there is no cooking involved in the making of this dish either... But there is a little chopping to be done...

So sharpen your knives, put the kettle on the stove and let's check out what ingredients we are going to need! Chop-chop!


 

You can see most of the ingredients here... Except for lime, fish sauce and sesame oil that are sooo important... But I just couldn't fit them on my dish! Otherwise, I needed twice as much kohlrabi as carrot, that is the right ratio and being as it depends on the size of both your kohlrabi and your carrots, I shall leave that up to you!

Otherwise you will need rice noodles, I had brown, but regular white will also be fine, plenty of fresh mint, some fresh chili for heat, some sweet Thai chili sauce for flavor, some hosin sauce for seasoning and some regular black pepper... Just because you ALWAYS need regular black pepper! Then, 1 heaped teaspoon of miso paste for the extra umami taste... and of course... Salted peanuts! For that yummy, crunchy, extra kick!


 

This is refreshing and delicious and as spicy as you dare to make it! But, because of that sweet Thai chili sauce in there, even if you decide to leave it mild and "harmless", it will still be packed with flavor- and is a great tasting as it is great looking!

So, has your kettle boiled yet? Good! I know you want to get this show on the road,


 

I began by adding a heaped teaspoon of miso paste to the rice noodles and covering them with boiling water to soak and take on all of that great umami flavor.

 

Let the noodles sit and "cook through" from the residual heat of the boiling water and allow them to soak up all of the miso flavor for 10-15 minutes. In that time you can take care of your peeling and chopping and general carrying on!

 
Peel and cut the carrot and kohlrabi into what I would consider a "chunky julienne" and cut up the mint into a fine "chiffonade"... Isn't it great how I am using French terms now? Haha! I am so international!

 

Drain the noodles and then give them a little snip here and there with kitchen scissors to make them a little easier to manage and then add the carrot, kohlrabi and mint. I used 1 carrot and 1/2 of a kohlrabi for this serving and by way of seasoning, added 2 tablespoons of Thai chili sauce, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil, the juice of 1 lime and plenty of black pepper.

 

Once everything was nicely coated, I added the salted peanuts and stirred them in... And with that done, I was ready to serve and to enjoy!

 

A last light drizzle of hoisin sauce and a few slivers of fresh chili are the finishing touch.. But other than that, grab your dishes, grab your chop-sticks and get ready to enjoy!
 

Having said that... Leaving the salad to sit and marinate for a couple of hours would only make it better... But hey! I was hungry!! And all I can say is that even served up straight away, it was fresh and delicious and so, so good!

 

Who could want for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment