Tuesday 17 June 2014

Bok Around the Clock!

Bok Choy con Salsiccia Cinese & Fiocchi di Riso
Bok Choy with Chinese Sausage & Rice Flakes


Time for a little supper of the Asian persuasion again this evening! I had 2 bok choy left over in the fridge... and I wasn't afraid to use them!

I also still had more Chinese sausage in the freezer and rice flakes in my cupboard... The rest was simply going through the motions, but the combination was incredibly tasty! In fact... It tasted as good as it looks!


Nothing too exciting going on here... Except for the resulting favors! Sometimes you really don't need to over-complicate your life... And especially not you supper!

And you have to admit... This does look pretty tasty, doesn't it? 


2 bok choy, 3 little Chinese sausages, a red onion, a chunk of ginger and a couple of handfuls of rice flakes was all it took! Well, along with around 15 minutes of cooking time that is, haha!


And of course, what is almost every home-made Asian meal's best friend? You betcha! That good ok' Sriracha sauce has just got to be!


These so-called "rice flakes" are a little more than just flakes, they are small sheets of pressed rice meal, around 2-3" in size and triangular or trapezoid in shape... They are the weirdest thing! But they are a fun alternative to rice, noodles... Or of course, rice-noodles! Haha!

To prepare them, I simply poured boiling water over them and left them to "cook" for around 10 minutes.


10 minutes later, the rice sheets were almost doubled in size and had softened considerably, needing just a little more actual cooking to be ready to enjoy.


I cut the ginger into fine little sticks and cut the other ingredients into bite-sized pieces, so that everything would be a nice, even mix along with the rice flakes... And being totally starving and with no further ado, I put my frying pan onto the stove top and got it nice and hot to begin cooking!


I began with the ginger, sausage and onion, the sausage having plenty of fat to cook the other ingredients nicely with no added oil. I sautéed the ingredients for 3-4 minutes until the onion was beginning to go golden brown and the sausage was getting crisp around the edges...


...I then added the bok choy and continued stirring until it began to wilt-down and also become a little brown.


Once the bok choy was almost done, I added the rice-flakes and a splash of light soy sauce. I seasoned with just a half teaspoon of 5-spice powder and added the juice of half a lime.


And after maybe a further 3-4 minutes of sautéing, the finished dish, with a nice drizzle of Sriracha, looked something incredibly like this!


I could eat a whole plateful of this all over again right now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment