Thursday 13 September 2012

Technicolor Thai

Tagliatelle Vegetariane "Tom Yum"
Vegetarian Tom Yum Noodles


Yes, yes I know- this is a very colorful bowl of noodles! But it was not just created, just to give you all something to talk about... to be brutally honest, it was created because I got home very late, very tired, very hungry... and eager to empty out my fridge! 

I had these few left-over vegetables... 2 bok choi, a chunk of purple cauliflower and a red pointy pepper and it would have just been a shame to have let them go to waste! So I improvised this simple dish, which was quickly and easily made, stilled my hunger, tidied my fridge and ended the day feeling rather satisfied and pleased with myself!


This is going to be a short one folks- sometimes even I am just too tired and want to take the easy way out! To make this, I started off by sautéing a little chopped onion, crushed garlic and grated ginger in a saucepan with a little sesame oil and then adding 2 tablespoons of "tom yum" paste and stirring that in too. Once the paste had mixed in well with the other ingredients, I added a splash of Thai fish sauce and a little soy. Next came the vegetables- the bock choi cut into slices, the peppers in strips and the cauliflower separated into little "florettes".

After sautéing everything for 2-3 minutes, I added more boiling water, until the vegetables were well covered and a portion of udon noodles. I love that udon noodles come already wrapped into little bundles, which constitute single servings... it makes the whole thing a lot easier! I stirred in the noodles, which soften quickly and are completely done within 5-6 minutes and reduced the heat to a simmer.

After simmering for 5-6 minutes, the noodles were nicely cooked and the broth was lightly thickened and full of the tangy tom yum flavor along with the nice, fresh vegetables- and just simply delicious, hot, spicy and plain good all by itself!

What better way to end my day- and how tasty and satisfying! Try it for yourself and enjoy how good simplicity can taste! I did for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment