Tuesday 4 September 2012

Pretty Fritty!

Frittata di Couscous alla Menta, con Zucchine Gialle e Verde
Couscous Frittata with Mint & Green & Yellow Zucchini


Vegetarians rejoice- yes indeed- here is yet another meatless munchie coming your way! And is delicious whether eaten hot and fresh from the oven or cold and straight from the fridge! So those are two reasons right there why you might like this!

This was a spur of the moment idea again! I was planning on making some kind of salad with couscous and zucchini originally- but already yawning when I came up with that thought... boring! Then I thought of making a zucchini omelette... boring! And THEN I thought of making a combination of the two... interesting! And an evenings eating was born...

I started off by preparing the couscous. I took 2 cups of couscous, added a handful each of finely chopped mint and parsley, a finely chopped Spring onion, half a clove of garlic, finely grated, a little salt and pepper to season and some grated nutmeg. I stirred all of this together, covered it with boiling water and allowed it to sit and soak for around 10 minutes, until it was light and fluffy and flavorful.

Whilst that was happening, I sliced 2 small zucchini and sautéed them in a little olive oil, with some finely chopped garlic, black pepper and a little nutmeg again... zucchini like nutmeg! And I do too! They only needed 2-3 minutes at the most after which time I set them to one side and found myself a nice small frying pan to make the frittata in... because, yes- it was almost time for the real fun to begin!

The couscous was cool by now, so it was safe to add 2 eggs to it without them curdling. I stirred the egg in well, turning it into a nice smooth paste- then took a smaller frying pan and got it nice and hot and ready!

I added a little splash of olive oil and half of the couscous and herb batter then quickly arranged the yellow and green zucchini as you can see in the picture. I then added the other half of the dough, sealing the first layer in nicely, and repeating the procedure with the zucchini slices. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, some finely chopped garlic and a little more nutmeg before popping it into the oven to finish baking for 10-15 minutes, after which time I turned on the broiler for 1-2 additional minutes to get it nice and golden brown.

And simply delicious!
Buon apetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment