Sunday 2 September 2012

Sicilian Mad Scramble!

Uova Strappazzate alla Siciliana su Tortilla Tostata
Sicilian Scrambled Egg on Toasted Tortilla


Time for breakfast and time for a treat! One of my all-time favorite combinations and nice memories of Sicily is egg with mint and sun-dried tomatoes- just wonderful! And it makes me especially happy to be enjoying them today in anticipation of my next visit there in 2 weeks time!

Today I decided to do something altogether not Sicilian- humble and good old scrambled eggs! And on top of that, I served them up on a toasted tortilla! Ha! Traditions are great- but new interpretations have a lot going for them too sometimes!


For the scrambled eggs, I used 2 eggs to one measuring cup of milk which I beat together with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg. I then prepared some finely chopped mint and parsley, and shredded one large sun-dried tomato into strips. And then the fun began!

In a hot frying pan, I drizzled a little olive oil- just to get a different flavor to the usual buttery breakfast scramble. I added the egg and as soon as it began to set slightly, pushed it back on itself using a spatula, so that the soft egg would flow back and begin to set in turn. I added the chopped herbs and shredded tomatoes and carried on folding and re-folding until everything was nicely integrated.

I then folded over the tortilla and popped it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp up. Whilst that was happening I sliced a few cherry tomatoes in half and grated a little salted ricotta ready for serving- which was good- because I WAS ready for serving! You can't get much easier or yummier than that... and if you start your day off this way- you can be sure it is going to be a good one! Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment