Sunday 9 September 2012

Being Capricious!

Caprese di Fichi
Caprese Salad of Fig, Mozzarella and Basil


This is a slightly more elegant and extravagant looking version of everyone's favorite tomato and mozzarella Caprese salad- and to think that all it takes is to swap those tomatoes for figs and there you have it!

There really isn't that much more that needs to be done to make already delicious ingredients even more delicious! The only additions here were an infused salt and pepper mix that I made and a little honey, vinegar and olive oil... but I will tell you how I did it all the same- because I want you to enjoy it as much as I did too!


For the salt/pepper mix I used coarse sea salt, red pepper corns, black pepper corns, coriander seed, fennel seed and cumin, and a little grated lime zest together with a little sugar and a pinch of nutmeg. The ratio is basically 2/3rds salt to 1/3rd sugar for the bulk of the mix and then the amount of spices and seasonings is a matter of preference. Start off by just adding a pinch of each and tasting as you go... but keep a glass handy if you do! Salt makes you thirsty!

A little tip for you when it comes to mozzarella, is that it tastes better, in my humble opinion, if you tear it. It just does. Don't ask me why! All you need to do is to arrange your figs, basil and mozzarella decoratively and then sprinkle them lightly with a little olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and a little honey- and then with your yummy seasoned salt mix... doing next to no work never tasted so delicious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment