Wednesday 15 August 2012

Just Desserts!

Piccoli "Strudel" alla Pera & Coriandolo
Mini Pear & Coriander Strudel


It has been another of those stressful work days and was followed by a trip out to see family, which is always lovely- but is also a long commute. Which meant that I nibbled on this and that whilst I was there, but did not sit down to a proper meal. Which was all fine, but by the time I got home at 9.30 pm, I hadn't eaten properly, so I was a little hungry- but I had eaten a little, so I didn't feel like a full meal- or like cooking for that matter!

So, "long story short" as they say, I decided to make a little treat rather than a "proper" meal and decided to make it from a nice, wonderfully ripe pear and the last left-over strip from the puff pastry from last night. I am definitely a "waste not, want not" kinda guy- especially when "wasting not" looks and tastes like this!


I peeled, halved and cored the pear, drizzled it with lime juice to keep it from going brown and to give it a more complex flavor, dusted it with a little Stevia and the sprinkled it with a touch of cinnamon and a more generous amount of coriander powder.

Coriander powder has nothing to do, flavor wise, with coriander or cilantro. It has a warm, mellow spiciness to it that combines wonderfully with pear... if you're not already familiar with it- you're going to love it!

I placed the pear halves onto the puff pastry, trimmed the pastry down to just a little more than the width of the pear, folded it over and sealed the ends by pressing them together with a fork. I made three cuts into the pastry using a sharp knife- not only for decoration, but also to allow the pear to give off a little steam whilst baking and to no become soggy from the juices.

I placed them into a dry, non-stick frying pan and started them off, "frying" at top heat for maybe 6-7 minutes. I then "baked" these little beauties for around 15 minutes until puffy and golden brown, at 350°F in a pre-heated oven. I served and enjoyed mine, still piping hot, with a little vanilla custard, straight from the fridge... yum! Now that WAS a treat! A truly perfect combination!

1 comment:

  1. Vielen Dank, ich freue mich sehr das euch mein ihnen gefällt! Ich bin im Moment sehr beschäftigt und habe auch vor mein Blog und der Name eventuell zu ändern. Danach komme ich vielleicht doch noch auf ihnen zurück. Noch einmal vielen Dank und alles gute! Francesco

    ReplyDelete