Tuesday 24 July 2012

Shut Up and Quiche Me!

Torta Salata con Pancetta, Funghi, Pomodori Secche e Salvia
Bacon, Mushroom, Sun-Dried Tomato & Sage Quiche


It was the flavor of the mushroom and sage together in yesterday evening's rice salad dish, that got me thinking that I really need to try something else out with that self-same combination... and so this simple but delicious little quiche was born!

This was a delightful, individual serving, a 6" quiche made from 3 mushrooms, one egg, a little chopped bacon, 2 sun-dried tomatoes and that little bit of puff pastry for the base. A little parmesan cheese on top and there it was- a lot of flavor, a lot of fun, next to no work and inexpensice to boot! Yay! Want to know how easy it was to make? Well- let me just say it was easier than pie!


I started out by lining a 6" baking dish with greaseproof paper, then pressing down the pastry into shape and refrigerating it again until I was ready to add the filling- just so that it would retain its shape better. And then I started on the filling!

First of all, the finely dice bacon went into a dry, non-stick pan- no need for extra fat there folks! Once it began sizzling, I added the chopped mushrooms, a chopped Spring onion, the sun dried tomatoes and 2 finely chopped sage leaves. I sautéed these for 2-3 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg, then removed them from the heat to cool down.


In a small bowl, I cracked and beat an egg, seasoned with salt and pepper and added a little grated Parmesan- I kept a little extra to sprinkle on top later! I began pre-heating the oven to 350°F whilst the mushrooms cooled down and took the pastry out of the fridge again... it was time to start pulling things together!

As soon as the mushrooms are only lukewarm, add them to the egg and stir in well. Remember- if you add them too soon and they are still hot- you are going to end up with scrambled eggs!

Now everything is nicely mixed, pour it carefully into the pastry base, sprinkle with a little extra Parmesan and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and delicious! And it is delicious either hot or cold- which is a good thing on these changeable Summer days over here! So I hope that you enjoy as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment