Tuesday 17 July 2012

Full Steam Ahead!

Involtino di Pollo con Pomodoro Secco & Salvia
Chicken Roulade with Sun-Dried Tomato & Sage


So, it was my birthday again and another year was over as a new one began without me even noticing- time does fly! And there I was at the end of a long day, on my own and hungry and feeling the need to be celebrating in some way. 3 guesses what I decided to do to cheer myself up!

Looks kind-of special, right? A little crazy, a little extravagant? Well it was anything but that! it was quick, easy, cheap as can be and delicious... and totally healthy too! And I would say that THAT is something worth celebrating!



The rolls were very simple to make. They were simply thin slices of chicken breast which I spread with honey, then laid sage leaves over the whole surface, trickled with lemon juice and then covered with sun-dried tomatoes. Easy! I seasoned only with pepper, as the sun-dried tomatoes were plenty salty and then rolled up the breast as tightly as I could and wrapped it, Christmas-cracker style in ceran wrap. I popped this onto my steam rack in a small saucepan and steamed it for 10 minutes- time to prepare the rest!

This included, in part, the shredded carrot and barberries. This was just a half of a good-sized carrot per person, cut down to pieces of around 3 inches and the finely chopped into a julienne. I mixed these carrots with a small handful of barberries, sprinkled them lightly with salt and then added them onto the steam rack alongside the chicken roll, so that they could steam nicely for 4-5 minutes. 


Those 4-5 minutes were enough time for me to squeeze the juice of 1 lime into a bowl, add 2 cups of couscous, 1 finely chopped Spring onion and a little chopped mint and then to cover with boiling water. After 4-5 minutes I added some finely chopped chives, salt, pepper, parsley and stirred everything carefully together.

I took the carrots from the steamer, added a drizzle of honey, a little lime juice and a drop or two of sesame oil. I laid these around the outside edge of the plate and then spooned some of the couscous into the middle. I carefully unwrapped the chicken and cut it into equal slices, which I served on top of the couscous. I added a few of drops of lemon juice
and honey to the chicken and served this delicious little meal with a nice chilled glass of White Corvo. And the Birthday Boy was certainly pleased. I think you might well be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment