Wednesday 25 July 2012

New Lesson in Old School

Budino di Semolina al Arancia e Basilico
Orange & Basil Baked Semolina Pudding


I know, I know- you can hardly get any more old-fashioned than semolina pudding! For me, it brings back recollections of the 70's, as that was when I used to get semolina pudding served up as part of my school dinners... for the older ones of you out there- you may remember the 60's or indeed the 50's! Yes- it is rather out of fashion now and that is just the way it is.

But that does mean that it is a good thing that semolina fades away from our dining tables- that would be a real shame! I love how easy it is to prepare and how versatile it is- there is no end to the kinds of flavors you can add to it! Orange and basil- both full of delicious tasting and smelling essential oils and perfect to perfume this delicate little dish... so what are we waiting for?!! Let's get started!


I started off by boiling 2 cups of milk which I sweetened with 2 teaspoons of Stevia- feel free to use sugar or honey if you prefer. Once the milk came to the boil I added 3-4 leaves of basil, a little 1" piece of vanilla pod and the finely grated zest of half an orange. I turned off the heat and let the milk infuse with these flavors for 5 minutes, before removing the basil and vanilla. I then heated it back up again to a light, rolling simmer and proceeded to stir in the semolina, whisking it in all of the time to avoid any lumps.

Onc it had thickened to a smooth and creamy consistency, I whisked it thoroughly and then poured it into an oven-proof dish and popped it into the oven for 10-15 minutes at 300°F.
After that time, I took it back out of the oven and added a few strands of orange zest and a light sprinkle of sugar. Back into the oven it went, under the broiler for a final 2-3 minutes to become a lovely golden color and to crisp-over. And there you go! The easiest, coolest dessert- again, delicious hot or cold! All you have to do is enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment