Thursday 12 July 2012

Shreddy When You Are!

Insalata di Carote e Piselli Trittate con Pomodori Secche e Lenticchie Rossi
Shredded Carrot, Snow Pea, Sun-Dried Tomato and Red Lentil Salad


I know you are going to think I am strange, but I just love chopping vegetables into "Julienne" strips. Sigh. And I mean doing it by hand- not using some gadget or gizmo or machine. But there you go- that is just me! Feel free to use a gadget, gizmo or machine to slice yours- but do try making this delicious warm salad- It is different and tasy and fun!

I love the nutty flavor of lentils- and especially of the quick-cooking red variety. This simple salad is finished in 15 minutes and delicious either warm or cold. Of course that is just a theoretical statement as mine didn't have a chance to get cool down that much... I am a pretty fast eater when I am hungry... and this evening, I was!


I started off my getting a little water boiling in my frying pan. I used 2 cups of water to one of lentils... and as soon as the water was boiling, in went the lentils and down went the heat to a low simmer, which was great as it gave me the time I needed to get the other vegetables sliced.

This was a double-sized portion, which meant 2 handfuls of lentils, 1 carrot, 1 handful of snow-peas, 2 sun-dried tomatoes and a Spring onion... it really is wonderful to be able to make such a nice meal out of such ordinary produce! I cut the carrot into chunks that were the same length as the peas and then shredded both down into fine julienne strips. I did the same to the sun-dried tomatoes and even the Spring onion.


After the lentils had boiled for 10 minutes, I added all of the other ingredients, along with a little chopped garlic and ginger, salt, pepper, lime juice and a little coriander powder and cayenne. I stirred everything well and kept cooking it for a further 2-3 minutes. And that basically was it! Once everything was cooked and ready for serving, I added a tiny drizzle of honey, a little sesame oil, and a little balsamic glaze. And yes it does taste great in this combination with the lentils, tomatoes, carrots and peas! Try it out and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment