Tuesday 12 May 2015

Chop-Chop Salad!

Insalata di Vermicelli di Riso Integrale & Verdure Miste
Brown Rice Vermicelli Salad with Mixed Vegetables

 
It had to be something a little lighter for supper this evening, another salad seemed like a good idea, but I really didn't have a definite plan at all. I had bought a tiny little red cabbage on Saturday and was planning to make a coleslaw with it. Which would have been fine... But it would only have been a side-dish at best.

Which is why I decided to do something a little more filling and a little more fun instead!



With no real Asian ingredients at home, other than the few condiments I used to dress the salad and the brown rice noodles themselves, I still managed to make this tasty salad, to make it look lovely and to make it into an easy and FUN supper in next to no time!


To make a nice big salad, which would have been ample for two, I needed just 1 portion of rice noodles, ( I used the brown, but regular are just fine too), 1 Spring onion, 1 small carrot, 1 stalk of celery, about 1/3rd of a cucumber, a small wedge of red cabbage, 1 lime, some fresh basil and mint and a handful of peanuts. I used plain, boiled, red peanuts, simply because that was all I had in the cupboard, but regular salted peanuts would be fine too.

For the dressing, as well as the juice of the lime of course, I used Thai fish sauce, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce... And the result was just as yummy and fresh as can be!


 

You get double the fun by serving up your salad decoratively, with all of the individual ingredients laid out... Which is obviously very pretty... But then get to pour on the dressing and toss them all together as well! And as you can see... Even the messy version after mixing is still as pretty as can be!

 

Simply chop up the vegetables thinly, into bite-sized lengths that are easy enough both to pick up and to eat, without making too much of a mess! For the carrot, I simply used a vegetable peeler and trimmed off thin slices... Easy!

 

I soaked the rice noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drained them and rinsed them under a cold running tap for a minute or so, to stop the cooking process... Don't boil them in the stove top as they only take a minute or so to soften and can be very easily overcooked!

It's an absolute matter of personal preference, choice... Or simply how much time you have, when it comes to serving your salad... You can either set the ingredients out decoratively, like so, or simply toss the salad, along with all of the condiments and ingredients from the get-go... Either way is good!


 

Simply drizzle with sesame oil and fish sauce, then add sweet chili for flavor. Squeeze with the full juice of 1 lime, add plenty of mint and basil and toss together.

 

And if you have the time... And can resist temptation... The flavor will become better still if the salad sits and marinades for a while... Only I didn't wait! And it was still mighty fine!


Colorful, refreshing, light and packed with good things and great flavor... That's how I like my food! And I think you, your families and friends will all like yours too!

No comments:

Post a Comment