Monday 26 May 2014

Summertime Salad

Insalata di Radicchio, Arancia & Asparagi Selvatici
Radicchio, Orange & Wild Asparagus Salad


 

It has been a long, hard, dark and rainy day... ugh! Incredible to think that it is almost June already! But late as it is and tired as I am, I am still thinking I need a little treat and I refuse to have just spent a whole day without any sign of sun!

I will just have to make a little sunshine of my own!



 After discovering just how very tender, sweet and delicious this slender, wild asparagus is, I decided to set a little to one side to save for this evening and to use raw in a salad. Combined with bitter radicchio and sweet orange, with a dressing of orange juice, olive oil, cilantro and chili flakes... well, this was one Summery tasting salad here and that's for sure!

 

One radicchio, one orange, a handful of wild asparagus and some fresh cilantro was all I needed to make a great supper, brighten up my mood and end the day with at least a hint of a taste of Summer!

 

 Such a beautiful Summer salad! I just wish we had the weather to match!!!

 

There is minimal prep-work involved in this... but you will need to cut the orange segments out nicely with a good, sharp knife... Well, you don't HAVE to I suppose- but it will be much nicer if you do!

 
 
To make the dressing, I wrung-out the remaining part of the orange after cutting out the separate segments and used this juice together with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a little salt, a pinch of chili flakes... well, two actually and about a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh coriander.




I cut the asparagus into small bite-sized lengths, cut the radicchio into quarters and then plated it up with the asparagus and orange segments on top.

I then spooned the cilantro, orange and chili dressing generously on top and that my friends, was all there was to it! And the result was as delicious and it is bright and cheerful!

I hope you all give it a try- and I hope you all enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment