Sunday 4 May 2014

"Marmalade on Toast" Cookies :-)

Biscottini Rustici con Kumquat, Cardamome & Olio di Oliva
Rustic Kumquat, Cardamom & Olive Oil Cookies



 They may not look like much... but neither do I! And it's what's on the inside that matters, right?

I have a heart of gold and my cookies had a heart of kumquat, cardamom, a little yogurt, a drizzle of olive oil and of course some sugar to sweeten them up. And though I am not a baker- I have to say that these tangy little devils sweetened the whole day for me!

If you like marmalade, you will love these... and if you are interested to know how I made them, then click on through the pictures and I will be more than glad to tell you ;-)


 

 These are nice, chewy and fruity tasting- not too sweet and with just a little olive oil rather than butter... because I love the flavor of oranges and olive oil in savory dishes or salads and was curious to find out if it would work in something sweet...


 This was just a test-run and enough for a little breakfast snack for me today... the ingredients were as follows:

1 cup of flour, 10-11 Kumquats, 4-5 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 cardamom pods for a hint of wonderful, exotic flavor!


 

 Cut 2-3 of the kumquats into slices, to use decoratively and finely chop the rest, removing any seeds.

 

 Simply stir all of the ingredients together, adding as much yogurt as is necessary to create a nice, sticky dough... use a wooden spoon and squash the kumquats whilst mixing so that they give off their juice into the mix.

 

 Once the dough has come together and looks like this, it is ready to form... be careful not to over-work it, as there is no egg in this recipe and you don't want to make the dough too dense.

 

 Spoon the dough out onto a silicon sheet or parchment paper and add a couple of slices of cumquat to make them a little prettier. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and bake in a pre-heated oven at 175°C for 20-25 minutes until nice and golden... yes, I know, I have a few burnt edges on mine... but I like that! :-)


 

 These are simple little cookies- not too sweet and nice and tangy... like having marmalade on toast! Which is why they were perfect for my breakfast today! Hope you like them too!

 

4 comments:

  1. Actually, they look pretty darn good to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like 'em Frank! They taste better than they look! I am ok at making other stuff look "pretty"- these were... well... just ok! ;-) Best wishes- Francesco :-)

      Delete
    2. One of the frustrations of food blogging, I find, is that your readers can't taste the food. All of the focus is on the visual... and pretty doesn't always mean tasty!

      Delete
    3. I agree completely Frank and all of my food is just simple stuff that is easy to make. It is not great, grand and complicated cuisine, just simple ideas anyone can try. THEN they should decide. So many of the things I see people going crazy about they will never be able to try and definitely not be able to recreate on their own... at least my things are so simple that anyone can! :-)

      Delete