Wednesday 5 October 2011

Autumn Leaves

Zuppa Cremosa di Patate & Pastinaca con Sopressata, Porro & Sedano
Creamy Potato and Parsnip Soup with Sopressata, Leek and Celery


Well folks, the evenings are getting darker earlier and the thought of a nice hot soup springs to mind a whole lot more often now! I was already thinking about it all afternoon and on my walk home from work- and I got straight to it the minute I walked through the door this evening! And this is what I came up with...


I still have a few parsnips at home from my last trip to the market hall and they are wonderful ingredients for Fall and Winter dishes. For this soup, I started off by cutting a few very thin slices from the end and then grating the rest finely, along with twice the quantity of potatoes. I sauteéd these with a few thin slices of Sopressata, which is a type of salami, along with a little garlic and some thinly sliced celery.


I then added some finely sliced leek, some finely sliced parsley (including the stalks), a little cumin, a little nutmeg, salt and pepper and then added the same amount of milk and water to make the base of the soup. It says "creamy" in the title of the recipe- but there is going to be no cream in this! But as the parsnip and potato cook down, they will blend together and become "creamy" and delicious all by themselves. Allow to cook for a good 20 at a low heat and in the meantime prepare some finely chopped parsley those parsnip slices for your garnish. The parsnips were fried in the same pan I used to to fry the Sopressata in... waste not, want not!

 
You will find that the potato and parsnip will blend together and give the soup a nice, creamy consistency, but if not, lift the other ingredients out with a slotted spoon, pour the potato, parsnip and herb soup into your blender, whiz it together for 30 seconds. Now you are ready to serve a piping hot and smooth and creamy soup to your guests- garnish with the chopped parsley, sliced parsnip and a few crispy slices of Salami... some real, good, comfort food! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment