Sunday 30 October 2011

Going Underground

Minestra di Patate e Topinambur
Chunky Potato and Topinambur (Jerusalem Artichoke) Soup


Time for another quick, easy and yummy soup! This was my second time with that strange little root, the Jerusalem Artichoke, or Topinambur as it is known... and it gets better each time! This is a great and simple dish. To make it, I used 3 Topinambur roots of about the size of an egg and medium sized potato. The other ingredients were: half a carrot, 1 potato, a little celery and a little parsley.

I peeled and sliced the Topinambur and peeled and quartered potato. I then finely chopped 1/2 of a medium onion, 1/2 a stick of celery and grated 1/2 of a small carrot. I sautéed these in a small pan and then added a small handful of freshly chopped parsley, including the stalks, 1/2 clove of garlic and the potato and Topinambur. I added enough milk until all ingredients  were covered and let this come up to the boil. I seasoned with nutmeg, salt, pepper and a little cayenne and then added boiling water and let it continue to simmer for 8-9 minutes.


After 8-9 minutes, I removed the potato, mashed it and returned it to the saucepan. Now the soup was miraculously creamy and thick! I added a little orange zest and a small pat of butter, gave it a further 2-3 minutes and then served it up with a nice crunchy Parmesan chip and a sprinkle of chili flakes- delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment