Wednesday 5 October 2011

Frittata Improvisata

Frittata Mediterraneo d'Autunno
Mediterranean Autumn Omelette


This was another occasion on which I created my supper, based on which inhabitants of my fridge needed using up first. I had the last of those "fat hen" mushrooms and a handful of spinach that I didn't want to go to waste. So I let them go to my frying pan instead- along with a couple more ingredients, and turned them into this delicious omelette!

I also had a couple of slices of Sopressata left, which I sliced finely and started frying in a dry pan. The next thing I added was the mushroom- I turned the heat up high until the salami gave off its oils and the mushroom fried and browned in it nicely. After 3-4 minutes, I removed the mushrooms and added the spinach. I let that cook for 2-3 minutes and removed it along with the salami. Moving swiftly along, I sliced up a couple of cherry tomatoes, a Spring onion, a little Parmesan cheese and a few black olives. Next step... construction time!


I beat 3 eggs, added a little milk, some salt, pepper and ground nutmeg and poured the mix into my small frying pan. I wanted to have a slightly thicker omelette than I would have got using a regular-sized pan. Whilst the egg mix is still soft, add the spinach leaves first and then spread the other ingredients around evenly. I finished it off bysprinkling lightly with some thinly sliced Parmesan, dusting lightly with nutmeg, and fluffing-up and browning-off under the broiler for 2 minutes...


...and there really isn't much more to say to that, other than buon apetito! I love improvising in the kitchen! I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment