Wednesday 4 March 2015

Just a Little Egg-citement!

Frittata di Spinaci, Pomodorini & Camembert al Forno
Baked Spinach, Cherry Tomato & Camembert Frittata

 

Don't hate me for it... but I do love to try to make a point of proving that I really think I am right when I claim that usually less is more when it comes to mealtime!

That doesn't mean less flavor of course- but usually much less in the way of ingredients as you might think and often times a whole lot less hard work.

Case in point- this beautiful frittata. If I were to show you the ingredients alone you would not be very impressed... but I am pretty sure that you will have found the this picture pretty delicious-looking, no?

That is exactly why I am talking about.  


 

Small, satisfying... and perfectly formed! More filling than you might think and less fattening than a regular fried egg dish, this was also much more fun than a regular omelette- and how!

 

As I already said- these ingredients hardly look like they are going to make a decent meal... but they do! Oh, but they do! 2 eggs, a half of a Camembert cheese, 1 cup of spinach (yes, this was frozen), 1 Spring onion, 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, a little fresh thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little olive oil. The End.

 

Just look at how rich, juicy and delicious this little beauty is!

 

I cut the tomatoes into quarters, the cheese into small strips, sliced up the Spring onion, plucked the thyme... and turned on the oven. And then I started putting my little dish together.

 

First I fried the Spring onion for a minute or so, then added the spinach, salt pepper and nutmeg and briefly stir-fried it to get the flavors blended and both ingredients half done. Of course, the spinach, being frozen, was already blanched- so it really didn't take more than 2-3 minutes.

 

I then took the spinach off the heat and added the breadcrumbs, which absorb any excess moisture- both now and during baking, but also help to cool the spinach down again at this point- which is really convenient because it means we can add the eggs and stir them in more or less straight away.

 

Once the spinach and eggs are well blended, add half of the Camembert, making sure that it does not all clump together too much if possible, so that you get it nicely and evenly mixed.

 

I greased my baking dish with a little olive oil and sprinkled it generously with bread crumbs before pouring the egg/spinach/cheese mixture inside, then pressed in the tomato pieces. I sprinkled the thyme on top, seasoned with more salt, pepper and nutmeg and the remaining cheese and popped it into the oven at 189°C for 25-30 minutes until it was beautifully golden brown.

 

A little something like this!

 

Sometimes, it can be as simple as that! Why worry, why fuss and why work more than you need to? Just use simple, good ingredients and let things take care of themselves!

 

Just cut into that good food, take a bite... and enjoy!

 

And the fact that it happens to look gorgeous makes it even better still, right? You betcha!

No comments:

Post a Comment