Monday 30 March 2015

Golden Delicious Pizza!

Pizza con Radicchio, Salami Piccante, Rosmarino, Mozzarella & Miele
Pizza with Radicchio, Spicy Salami, Rosemary, Mozzarella & Honey

 

What shall I say about my supper this evening?

Well- apart from the fact that it was amazingly tasty and finished in just 30 minutes, that it was totally inexpensive, costing less than a delivery pizza- and that I really think you should give it a try... oh, there isn't all that much left to say. Haha!

No, but seriously... this was my usual combination of a few simple ingredients, with good complimentary flavors, baked on a store-bought pizza base and to hell with it! It makes for a more than satisfying and enjoyable dinner for one- or two- just add a glass of wine and relax. You can stress yourself with a complicated dinner some other day. That's what I said to myself, anyway. 


Just not this Monday evening!


"Bitter" radicchio, red-hot, spicy salami, mild Mozzarella, sweet onion and savory rosemary... all finished off with a drizzle of honey to make sure that everything comes together perfectly.

Well, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes again! That will do nicely!


 

With just one radicchio, 1 ball of Mozzarella, 1 onion, maybe 3" worth of spicy salami, a good sprinkle of dried rosemary and a light drizzle of honey, I managed to turn 1 roll of pre-made pizza dough into 2 small pan pizzas... one 1 large one if you so prefer. I just felt a little less greedy this way- lol!

 

This pushed every one of my taste buttons and surpassed even my own expectations! I knew the combination would work in my mind before I started making it of course... but the finished result was just... excellent! This is a quick, cheap and easy treat I shall be making again- and definitely one I want to share with friends!

Pizza need not always be about tomato sauce and cheese!


 

Here we are- ready to go as soon as we have sliced up our onion and salami as thinly as we can and chopped the stalk away from the radicchio, so that we can separate the leaves. Time to turn on the oven to pre-heat it for the pizza and to pop a frying pan onto the stove top to prepare our topping!

 

Everything goes into the frying pan at a high heat and gets tossed for 1-2 minutes, until the salami starts to sizzle and everything gets lightly coated in the fat that it gives off- and of course soaks up the flavor!

Next, add a splash of water- just a little and put on the lid. Turn off the heat and let it sizzle away for a minute or so- then remove the lid, and allow to cool.


 

That quick blast of steam will make sure that everything is pre-cooked just enough and that all of the ingredients are infused with the flavor of the salami. Perfect. Now... unwrap that pizza base and get ready to have some fun!

 


First of all, lay out a few bits of Mozzarella and then begin to lay out the radicchio and salami nice and evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the Mozzarella on top and then lay the onions on top- that way, they will have a better chance of crisping up and turning golden brown. Sprinkle generously with dried rosemary and then bake in a hot oven, at the highest setting, for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Once the pizza has a nice color and is beginning to get crispy around the edges, take it out briefly, and then add a LIGHT drizzle of honey- especially over the radicchio of course- but basically, all of the pizza will benefit from it!

Then back inside it goes, under the broiler for one or two minutes until it begins to froth-up, bubble and turn brown... and then out it comes- and dinner is served!



I think this picture says it all... I think a good title for it could be "golden delicious" ;-) Don't you?


And yes- I did eat all of it by myself! Because I for one am not one of those people who have to have those same-old-same-old tomato sauce topped and overly cheesy pizzas... this is much more to my liking!

 

Like I said- pour yourself a glass of red, kick off your shoes and relax... and more importantly- enjoy! Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment