Saturday 7 March 2015

Bittersweet Symphony

Insalata di Radicchio Grumolo Rosso & Verde, Ravanelli & Arancia
Red & Green Radicchio "Grumolo" Salad, with Radishes & Orange

 

It was a day of discovery today at the market hall- at least that was what it became after I stumbled upon these miniature, whole, radicchio salad heads. Who knew?

The green ones caught my eye immediately- they looked like Brussels sprouts that had been crossed with roses! Of course I could not resist buying them... but I first needed to find out what they were from Nina as I had never seen them before!


 

She explained to me that they were called "radichiette", so of course immediately I knew they would be like the little brothers of the radicchio we all know... and that I love! With a hint of bitterness and a full-bodied flavor- absolutely "my thing".

Of course I was now more curious than ever and had to look them up online... and there it was. The name of this variety- "Grumolo".

Pity the name isn't as pretty as they are themselves! lol!


 

I decided to make a salad from them and decided to add orange for some sweetness and balance and radishes, for a peppery crispness. What more do you need for a delicious salad?

Oh- that's right... a dressing!

But of course I made that really simple as well... salads should not be overcomplicated!


 

Orange juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano.
Yeah- that sounds about right!


 

I peeled and cut the segments out of the orange, so that I could add them to the salad, and squeezed-out the remaining carcass/pulp pf the orange... and that juice went into a bowl.

That was in all the juice of about half of the orange, to which I added 5 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey, a good pinch of salt, a grind of fresh pepper and a teaspoon of oregano.


 

Stirred up briskly with a fork, these transformed themselves into the most lovely, sweet, light and tangy dressing... which was all I needed to bring my salad ingredients to life!

 

To prepare the radicchio, cut off the roots, which are full of soil and give it a good rinse- then repeat it a couple of times... they tend to be pretty sandy! Of course, most of them will fall apart... sadly... but still!

 
Slice up the radishes as thinly as you can and then simply arrange decoratively on your serving dish and make those beautiful ingredients look as pretty as you can- have fun! Enjoy!

 

Drizzle with the dressing and add a light scattering of oregano to make everything really "pop" with flavor... and there you have it!

  

Yes, just like that old song goes... "it's a bittersweet symphony"- but an edible and visual one at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment