Sunday 22 March 2015

Having Your Cake and Eating it Too!

Torta Semplice di Cocco & Cacao con Lampone, Yogurt & Lime
Simple Cake made with Coconut, Cocoa, Raspberries, Yogurt & Lime


Yet another, Sunday morning "all for lil' ol' me" cake... and where's the problem with that? None! Especially when they are so easy to make- not requiring any kind of mixer or machine at all- yep! I like that!

I set out today to simply try to make the most basic cake-mix I could, so that if I ever want to make a cake in future- meaning MY kind of cake that is not too sweet, not too fatty and juicy and delicious- I would have a simple formula I could stick to.

And I will keep trying to get the mix better of course- but I must say that this was pretty-near perfect!



Of course it is very, very important to have a recipe when baking- and to stick to it! Which is the reason that I am a pretty lousy baker!

That's why I wanted to have a "rule of thumb" recipe, rather than a Pythagoras Theorum- haha! But... I also wanted to make it up myself- that is also the kind of guy that I am!




So- my "rule of thumb" mix was in this case- 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of coconut flakes (which could also be ground nuts or almonds in future recipes), 1 egg, 1 tablespoons of cocoa, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the juice and zest of half a lime, 2 tablespoons of honey and a handful or raspberries. Not enough oil, butter, margarine or sugar? Or those other ingredients you think you can't do without in cakes? You won't know if you don't try it... but for me- this was perfect!


 

And yes- whatever your doubts... it did taste as good as it looks and it was juicy and delicious! What have you got to lose in trying? With that ingredient list... not much!

 

I am not one to tend to show off... but come on- this IS pretty adorable looking, isn't it? Huh? Huh?

 

And preparing it couldn't be easier- simply pop all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir them through...

 

Same goes for the wet ingredients... in a separate bowl of course!

 

...and then simply bring them together, stir them thoroughly with a spoon- that's all you need to do... and you are ready to go!

 

But not before adding plenty of raspberries- in this sized cake I added 10 or so into the mix.

 

Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish that has been dusted with coconut flakes, sprinkle a few more over the top- just a light coat and pop into a hot oven, at 180°C for 25-30 minutes...

 

...until it looks deliciously golden brown likes this and the proverbial piece of spaghetti, or toothpick comes out dry!

 
 
Allow your little cake to cool for 5 minutes before removing it from the baking form... if you can resist it for that long!


And once you cut into it and see how fluffy and juicy and delicious it has turned out, you will be ashamed of any doubts you had about your little cake and the self-indulgence that it going to result in... because yes- you are going to have your cake and eat it! Every last bit!

 

 Fluffy and juicy enough for you? ;-)


Yes, I am proud of this little beauty- and my photos!

 

And yest- those sprinkles on top are lime zest- just to make it go "ping!" and taste more exciting and fruitier still!


Nom. Nom. Nom.

  

Oh Em Gee.

 

The End... and it had all started so innocently!

No comments:

Post a Comment