Sunday 10 August 2014

Oat of This World!

Pasticcini di Avena, Uva Secca & Cocco con Confettura di Cocco
Coconut- Raisin Oat Cakes with Coconut Jam


Oatcakes or flapjacks, the traditional Scottish cookies are yummy and delicious and were my first encounter with oatmeal back in my school days that made me think- hey! This stuff doesn't taste so bad after all!

Today I decided to reinvent them, using much less (practically NO) butter, less work... and one thing more than the traditional recipe... coconut! Well actually, TWO things more- because I finally had a new and fantastic use for the coconut jam I bought at the Asian supermarket- Oh- sorry, counting the raisins that would make it three more things- talk about value for money! Haha
!


Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, with cinnamon, raisin and coconut, these are just a little bit better than the originals I would say- albeit very quietly, as I neither want to sound too brash, nor do I want to upset any of my Scottish friends!


As usual, they were an experiment, so I only made a small amount, but to make a batch of 5 oat cakes like this I needed: 1 egg, 1 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of coconut flakes, 1/2 cup of raisins, 2 tablespoons of coconut jam, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a teaspoon of cinnamon.


Coconut jam is basically caramelized coconut milk- very rich and sweet with a fantastically toffee flavor! You only need a few trickles of it to go a long way... but it sure is good stuff and you can find it, being invisible to Western eyes at most good Asian supermarkets. I discovered it for myself- it's time for you all to go out searching too!


I mixed the oatmeal, flour, coconut flakes, cinnamon and a teaspoon of baking powder, together with the egg yolk and gradually added a little milk into the mix until it became a loose and not to moist consistency.

 

 And of course I whipped up the egg white into soft peaks.

 

I carefully stirred the fluffy egg whites into the oatmeal mixture, along with the raisins, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of coconut jam. You can add more if you wish, but I prefer the oatcakes to not be too sweet in themselves and to add more sweetness later.

 
 
Stir everything together gently, allow to sit for a couple of minutes for the baking powder to start working and in the meantime pre-heat your oven to 200°C.


Spoon the mixture into a very lightly buttered pan and give them a good 3-4 minutes to begin browning and becoming firm from below before transferring them to the oven. Reduce the heat to 180°C and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and delicious...

 
... something a little like this!


Of course they are perfectly delicious just as they are... and yet- we can do better than that, can't we?


Like adding another tablespoonful of rich, sweet and delicious coconut jam, trickled on top...


 ... and of course a good sprinkle of extra coconut flakes! Now you're talkin'! Right?

 

Of course, you can be less messy and aim only for the oat cakes, so that they will indeed be easy to just pick up with your hands to eat- but I wanted to have some fun with my photos!


But whichever way you decorate them- you are going to love their simple, hearty and delicious flavor! You can take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment