Tuesday 29 November 2011

Savory Supper Muffins!

"Muffin" di Broccoli, Salsiccia Secca & Ricotta Fresca
Broccoli, Cream Cheese and Spicy Sausage Muffins


This is another one of those "file under easy" dishes from me- and wouldn't you know it- a muffin, from the man who doesn't know how to bake! I had the last leftover of broccoli that I wanted to use up and the last of my eggs- and they were both practically begging to be turned into muffins! I know how weird that sounds- but it's true!

Sure, I could have made a frittata or some kind of quiche, but I was in a hurry as usual and I knew that this would be the quickest solution!


I had a last chunk of spicy sausage, which I chopped finely and began to fry in a dry non-stick pan. I then added the broccoli, which I had broken up into little "florets" and a cupful of water, so that they would cook more quickly. I let them steam together for 2-3 minutes and then drained them and rinsed them under cold water in order to stop the cooking process.

In a bowl, I cracked and beat 4 eggs together with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese or cheese curds. I added a finely chopped spring onion, the broccoli and sausage, some nutmeg, salt and pepper. I decided they should have a little bit more "oomph!" and added around a tablespoonful of smoked paprika powder. I added a couple of tablespoons of flour and a tablespoon of baking powder and mixed everything together well.


I then filled the mix into a lightly-greased muffin tray and baked as a moderate heat for 15 minutes with a further 5 minutes under the broiler to get them nice and brown. Easy! The fluffed up wonderfully and were a real treat- mild and tasty broccoli with spicy and savory sausage in a fluffy, eggy and mildly cheesy little flavor explosion- I know you are going to love these! And so much fun!

4 comments:

  1. These looks really nice. Too bad I'm just seeing this today—we had the neighbors over last night for cocktails and these little muffins would have been a lovely addition to our nosh table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Frank- my faithful friend! Glad you like this little treat here! Maybe you will try them out next time...
    BTW- an interview I did was featured on www.dilwynedesigns.com recently- click on the button for their blog and you should find it easily enough- and yes. I gave you and your blog a little mention on there!
    Hope you are having a good weekend and sending my best from Frankfurt, Germany!

    Francesco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, many thanks for the mention! Interesting interview as well. Glad to hear that Saucy Chef is prospering. And I am really impressed by your daily output on top of your day job. It's all I can do to keep up my one-post-a-week quota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quality not quantity my friend! Only I am really stubborn and go for both- lol! It is hard work but it is a labor of love... but I will enjoy a well-earned break from it all in Sicily with my parents over Christmas! Best wishes from Frankfurt- Francesco

    ReplyDelete