Friday 25 November 2011

Cuts and Grazes

"Kasseler" Glassata di Miele con Fagiolini Mungo, Puré di Patate e Cavolini di Bruxelles
Honey-Glazed Kasseler with Urid (Mungo) Beans, Mashed Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts


Yes indeed- I did cut and I did glaze this last piece of Kasseler this evening- and very tasty it ended up being too! I decided to cut a criss-cross pattern into it and then rub fennel and caraway seeds into the cuts, to infuse it with some good flavors before glazing it, which was a great way to add some more exciting taste into hearty cured pork.

But before I tell you about how I glazed the pork, let me say a few words about those lentils. Because that's what I thought they were... I thought I was buying some cut-priced Beluga lentils at the Indian store! But no- these wonderful little things are actually beans- an Indian variety known as Urid or Mungo Beans. I prepared them by soaking them for an hour in cold water and then boiling them and cooking them on a low simmer for another 45 minutes or so. I cooked them with a little celery leaf, bay leaf, salt, pepper and paprika and then towards the end, added the finely onion, parsley and the hint of lemon. They taste much nuttier and more satisfying than lentils in my own opinion- I shall be making them again for sure!

Next on the agenda is the meat I guess, as the mashed potato and Brussels sprouts were kept very traditional and straight-laced. The potatoes were classic butter, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper- the sprouts got a little sea salt and butter. So yes- the meat!


I made sure that caraway seed, fennel seed, salt, pepper, garlic and a little cayenne got into all of the slits I cut into the Kasseler and then fried it on either side. Kasseler does not take much cooking, so after 4-6 minutes in all it was ready. I added a drizzle of honey, a splash of cognac and then flipped it over a couple of times, to be sure that the honey coats the pork nicely and that everything gets a nice, sweet and golden glaze! A little squeeze of lemon juice, was all it needed to make is a perfect balance of salty, sweet and savory... and that was it- quick, easy and different- three of my favorite things when it comes to food!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment