Saturday 24 August 2013

Claret and Gold

Albicocca, Mora, Biscotti & Fiocchi d'Avena al Forno con Huacatay & Ricotta
Baked Apricot, Blackberry, Cookies & Oatmeal, with Huacatay & Ricotta


2 pretty colors of 2 tasty fruits- delicious, ripe apricots and tangy fresh blackberries- yummy and beautiful at the same time! This could have been breakfast... but I felt like a treat after supper! So it became a rather elegant dessert instead... then again- it would have been one of the most gorgeous breakfast's ever otherwise!

The other main star in this tale of fruity decadence, is my new favorite herb Huacatay again- what can I do? I love it! It's wonderfully refreshing lemon flavor is just so different and so exciting, I buy it every time that Mrs. Wong has it on sale.
After all- why should only the Peruvians enjoy it, just because that's where this comes from :-)


To make this, I snapped a few cookies into quarters and spread them around on an oven-proof dish, along with the blueberries and the apricot and then I scattered large and coarsely-ground oatmeal flakes in-between. I drizzled everything lightly with milk, added a sprinkle of cinnamon and popped it into the oven for 4-5 minutes at 300°

It only takes 4-5 minutes for the berries to change from deep black to a more subtle red color and by now the apricot was starting to go brown around the edges- yum-yum! To make things more yummy still, I added a nice drizzle of honey, then popped it back inside for 2-3 minutes underneath the broiler.


The apricots, cookies, oatmeal and berries were lovely and toasty by now and only in need of a little help from the yummy huacatay and some creamy ricotta. So of course I needed to make the ricotta nice and creamy- lol! I added a little honey to it and whisked it through until it became much smoother in texture- this does take 5-6 minutes, but it is well worth it!

I used 2 teaspoons to scoop up and serve the ricotta and then added a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon before serving. But of course not before I had a chance to add a generous sprinkle of the lemony and delicious huacatay- the tiniest and most tender leaves made this a real treat to enjoy- and I do hope that you can find this where you all live!


Another idea would be to serve this up with fresh yogurt or milk for breakfast... but you KNOW I will do something completely different tomorrow now, dont'ya? So keep your eyes peeled! And let me see what I can think of over night ;-) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment