Sunday 10 March 2013

An Apple a Day...

Crostata die Mela con Zenzero, Cannella, Mandorla & Uva Secca
Apple Tart with Ginger, Cinnamon, Almond & Raisins


So how about this little beauty for breakfast? You think it will take too long... I see. Well I have news for you- this took only 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake and the result was pretty phenomenal! Do you think you can hop into your car, out to the bakers and back again in less time? No, me either :-)

OK then, pull up a chair for just a minute or two and I will tell you how I made such a delicious treat from just 1 apple and about 1" worth of ginger, a handful of raisins and just a little ground almond. Once more, the most simple of things prove to be the most delicious- and this little tart here even had a healthy and fat-free topping... sounds good to me! How 'bout you?


The first thing I did was to turn on the oven and turn it up to full power to be ready to go. The second thing I did was grate an apple- in my case is was a wonderful sweet but tart "kanzi" apple, but the bottom line is that you can use whatever you have or whatever you prefer and it will work out fine. All I needed to do was to grate it finely- I left mine un-peeled, but you can also, obviously peel yours if you so wish- what you need is plenty of juicy and moist apple and the rest is just details! Next, I cut off a piece of fresh ginger, just 1" or so, and grated that in with the apple. I then added a teaspoon of Stevia, but you can also replace that with a tablespoon of honey or sugar- you really don't need more in my opinion! I wanted this to taste of fresh, fruity apple and ginger and to be fruity-fresh rather than sickly-sweet... you get the message! I added a pinch of salt, about a tablespoon of cinnamon and a handful of raisins, stirred everything together well and tasted it. Mmm! Pretty delicious!

Obviously, the mixture was too soft and damp to serve as a topping as it was... so I added around 3 tablespoonfuls of ground almonds and stirred them into the mix until it became firm- almost the consistency of a soft dough... perfect! So the topping was now complete- all I needed was a base!

For the base, I cut out a circle of pastry, then lined a baking dish with parchment paper and laid the pastry inside. I then cut several strips of extra pastry and laid them along the outside , building up a raised border of at least 3 layers. I then trimmed off any excess paper and spooned-in the nut/almond/apple filling, leveled it out and then popped the tart into the oven for 20 minutes or so until it was richly golden brown, puffed up and gorgeous! All it needed was a good scoop of plain yogurt and there is was- a perfect breakfast treat in no time at all! Hope you try it out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment