Friday 20 January 2012

Magic Mushroom Tortilla

Tortilla Croccante con Formaggio Cremoso, Funghi, Pancetta e Pepe
Crispy Cream Cheese Tortilla with Mushrooms, Bacon and Peppers


It was like this you see- supper was bubbling away, but I was just feeling ravenous! I needed a drink, I needed a snack and I needed it fast! Pouring a gin and tonic was easy enough, but I needed something crispy to nibble on and had no chips or crackers. But I DID still have a couple of tortillas at home...

Suddenly I had an idea! I had a few leftovers from my supper ingredients and I had maybe half an hour to wait until supper was ready. So I got to work on turning them into a more than luxurious little before-dinner treat- but then hey! I deserve it after all this cooking I do!


I sliced some bacon into very fine strips and started it frying in a dry non-stick pan. When it was half-done, I removed it from the frying pan and replaced it with some very thin slices of king oyster mushroom and a little crushed garlic- this also fried for only 2-3 minutes on either side until cooked and soft. I then removed the mushrooms from the heat and set them to one side.

I then took a soft cream cheese-curd and added parsley, chives and thyme to it, added a squeeze of lemon juice, some salt and pepper and spread the mix onto the tortilla. I then layed the mushrooms out, followed by the bacon and then, again followed by some finely sliced red peppers and spring onion. I seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little Tobasco- amd into the oven it went for 5-6 minutes under the broiler, by which time it was the rich, toasty gold color you can see in the photos and ultra-crispy and delicious!

So easy! So where was my drink again...?

No comments:

Post a Comment