Sunday 9 June 2013

Going Back Home in a Glass

Uova in Bicchiero alla Siciliana
Sicilian Coddled Eggs (Reloaded)


I have posted these coddled eggs before, a couple of years ago, when I first started the blog... and unbelievably, haven't made them since! Well, actually- it is not surprising, since I try to come up with something new every day for you all... but still! Today I was just in the mood- so I decided to refresh my own memory, as well as yours...

Nothing could be LESS Sicilian than coddled eggs! And nothing could be less British than this preparation of them! Which is where I come in- being born in England of Sicilian parents, I wanted to cook up some flavors that I love, that remind me of my favorite Sicilian breakfast... in a most terribly British fashion!
And at the same time, creating a much healthier dish too!

The idea for these breakfast eggs came from something my mother used to make when I was growing up. Basically, she used to prepare, what I suppose can only be described as a "Savoury French-Toast". But rather than dipping a couple of thick slices of stale bread into milk or cream to soften them up, then into egg... and frying them in a pan and sprinkling them with sugar and cinnamon, she would press mint and sun-dried tomato paste into the bread and fry it in an egg batter. This may sound strange to you- but trust me- the combination of egg, mint and sun-dried tomatoes is incredible, aromatic and flavorful in the extreme. And very typically Sicilian!


The preparation for these is very simple. For each person you will need 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of the following: finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped bacon, grated parmesan cheese, finely chopped mint and parsley. That's easy enough to remember :-) And the best way I can think to give you a rough idea of how to dose things... I of course do this instinctively... and impulsively, haha! To season, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg- simple! Stir these all together well- a fork will do, no need to fuss with whisks or gadgets... and into the coddler it goes! On goes the lid, which either screws tight, or has a clip like mine... and the fun can begin!

I placed the coddler's into a saucepan and filled with boiling water, up to the height of the egg, reduced the heat to a steady simmer and let them cook from between 10-15 minutes- depending of course on how firm you prefer your egg. I have given a little thought to how you might possibly be able to make these if you don't own egg coddler's- and have an idea. It is just an idea mind-you! I don't actually own a microwave oven myself, but I would presume you could pour the egg mixture into a glass, cover it snugly with cling-film, prick it once with a tooth-pick for example, so that it will release the steam in part whilst it cooks- and get a similar result. It would obviously cook in an uncovered glass too and taste delicious, but the trapped steam makes the egg fluff up and gives it a lighter consistency... so see if you can get the coddlers! It's worth it!


And as I said- 10-15 minutes later, you have an amazingly tasty breakfast all ready to serve up and to spoon out and enjoy! And how does it taste? Well, the freshness of the mint, the tanginess of the sun-dried tomato, the saltiness of the Parmesan and the mildness of the egg and milk is really delicious... look- it's just very, very good- okay?

If you're reading this- you're one of the family. And we take care of each other. You do what I tell you to do and you won't go far wrong.

Ok- now mangia!
Buon appetito!
 

2 comments:

  1. this has given me a good idea for lunch - I am going to bake my eggs in a bain marie with bacon and cheese and herbs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of assistance Carole ;-) Buon appetito!

    ReplyDelete