Sunday 23 June 2013

Cracking Good Snacks!

"Cracker" di Tortilla con Insalata-Trittata alle Crespini
Tortilla Crackers with Barberry Chop-Salad


It was hot, I was bothered and I felt like a snack. But it was 4pm- dangerously close to suppertime and I had something yummy planned... but still- I HAD TO eat! So, salad seemed like a safe thing to go for... and then I remembered those last couple of tortillas I had in the fridge...

Not wanting to make a wrap sandwich yet again, I decided to cut the tortilla into squares and bake them, turning them into crackers which I could serve my salad on as light and colorful little snacks. Kinda fun I thought- and a great way to test these before my next dinner party- where they would make an excellent appetizer!


For the chop-salad, I used a nice, firm romaine lettuce, some yellow pepper, cucumber cut into julienne and plenty of basil. I cut the cucumber in half first and removed the seeds before slicing it- they would have made the salad to watery and that in turn would have turned the crackers soggy.  

Once everything was chopped and mixed together, all I needed was a nice dressing to give it plenty of flavor. I made this out of 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of mustard, 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. I stirred this together briskly, turning it into a nice, smooth emulsion and then added it to the salad, dressing it nicely and stirring it in well. Simply but yummy!


To make it a little more fun, I added a sprinkle of barberries to each cracker... the dressing was more creamy and mild than I usually would have made, with just a little balsamic vinegar, so the tangy barberries gave it a little kick in the right direction as well as adding some great color and a light, chewy consistency- ah! Now this was something I liked much, much more! Each little cracker let itself easily be folded in half for better eating and yes, they were lovely, refreshing snacks. 

I have to say that the salad and dressing did of course seep into the crackers and soften them after 15-20 minutes, so you wouldn't want to actually top the crackers too far in advance if you had guest, but if you did so just as you began to serve drinks- trust me- they wouldn't be around long enough for you to need to worry too much about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment