Saturday 8 June 2013

A Brighter Shade of Green

Tortine di Avocado & Menta
Little Avocado-Mint Cakes


No, it isn't St. Patrick's Day again and no, there is no artificial food coloring in here, other than that provided by the mint syrup I used to flavor these little cakes... I was as surprised as you are when they came out so wonderfully vibrant green! As eye-catching as they were delicious!

2 small dessert portions made from 1 egg, 1 avocado... and frankly, very little else! I made these with no added fat, kept the calories down by using Stevia and had only the sugar included in the mint syrup to add additional calories. I love to find a way to make things work without going down the traditional path. It may not always work and it may be more risky... but it's more fun and it guarantee's something a little different to everyone else's food... and I just like that!


So, how did I make these? I separated the egg and first whisked the white until it was firm and fluffy, adding a pinch of salt as this gives a little more stability. I then scooped out the avocado, mashed it down with a fork and added the egg yolk, 4 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 4 tablespoons of mint syrup, and to start off with, 1 tablespoon of Stevia. If you want to use sugar, obviously that is no problem either! I whisked this together at the highest setting for 5 minutes... and whilst that was happening, turned on the oven to pre-heat it for baking. The syrup I used, was the kind that we dilute and drink in Italy in the Summer, or the kind you might use for alcohol-free cocktails. An alternative might be Creme de Menthe, which would also be fun... just don't feed it to your kids! At this point, I tasted the batter for sweetness- the syrup tends to be rather sweet, so I recommend you go easy on the additional sweetness.

Once the avocado-mint mixture was nice and smooth, I carefully folded-in the egg white and then spooned the mixture into my little ramekins. You could also use cupcake paper cups or a muffin tray of course... but in they went to a hot oven, to bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F. The result was a soft, moist cake with a mild and creamy flavor letting both the avocado and the mint come through nicely. I served mine with a tablespoonful of plain yogurt and a teaspoon of cranberry preserves for a little extra hint of yumminess. And there you have it- not spectacular, mild and not too sweet and perfect with a nice espresso after dinner. What more could you want? Other than a second serving?

No comments:

Post a Comment