Sunday 13 January 2013

Heavenly Lemony!

Fritelle allo Yogurt con Limone e Pistacchie
Lemon & Pistachio Yogurt Pancakes


Sunday morning in Frankfurt... it's sunny but cold and I feel miserable with aches and pains from some pesky virus I have managed to pick up. Great. So the sun is there- but I am not well enough to get out and enjoy it! So sure, you guessed it- the only thing I can think of doing to cheer myself up is to make something yummy for breakfast... something as sunny as the weather outside but recalling memories of somewhere much, much warmer...

Yes, the lemon zest and the pistachio I used to make this yummy little breakfast did come from Sicily, but of course- any old untreated lemon and ground pistachio will do! I based the method on some little ricotta cakes I had seen being made in Sicily, but decided to see if I could do something similar using yogurt... and the result was obviously plenty different- but at the same time... it wasn't half bad!


To make these 5 little pancakes, I took one egg, 4 tablespoons of yogurt, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of ground pistachio and whisked them together until they formed a thick, creamy batter. I added a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of Stevia for sweetness- of course you can use sugar or honey if you prefer.

Once the batter was done, I let it rest for 10-15 minutes whilst I blanched some lemon zest- simply by pouring water over it, then discarding the water after a minute or so and then repeating the process once more. Once the zest has been blanched, the bitterness is gone, it becomes a little softer and easier to work with... and eat! I chopped it into super-fine shreds and added most of them to the pancake batter, but kept a few to sprinkle on top as a garnish later.

Now the batter was ready, I could get busy frying! I used clarified butter to fry the pancakes, just a little bit, and used 2 tablespoons of batter for each little cake. Once the batter had begun to set, I dropped a tiny, extra pat of butter into the pan next to it... the pancake draws it in and the pancake bubbles up nicely- this way you keep the fat you use to a minimum. I flipped them over to brown the other side and set them out on my serving dish to cool slightly. I did that because I wanted to enjoy mine with a little fresh yogurt, which would otherwise have split and curdled... if you don't want to have the yogurt- go ahead and enjoy them hot, hot, hot!

I added a sprinkle of the lemon zest and some ground pistachio to the yogurt, before giving everything a nice drizzle of honey... and voila! Breakfast was ready and totally yummy! Do I need to tell you that I really enjoyed it? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment