Sunday 12 February 2012

Puren Simple

Barbabietola Rossa & Patate Americane con Spezie Indiani (Panch Puren)
Indian-Spiced Beet Root + Sweet Potato (Panch Puren)


This one is a quick and easy way to turn something as ordinary as a beet root and a sweet potato, into a deliciously exotic treat, in less that 15 minutes. The earthy beets benefit greatly from the sweetness of the sweet potato and the Indian spices bring both together in a wonderful way!

For this nice ample, single serving, I used 2 small beets and about one third of a sweet potato. I started off by dicing the vegetables and frying the sweet potato together with a handful of diced bacon, but no other fat. As soon as the bacon became crispy, I deglazed the frying pan with a splash of orange juice and a little water, put on the lid and allowed it to steam for 5 minutes. And in the meantime, I prepared the spices for later...

I ground 1 tablespoon of "Panch Puren" spice in my mortar and pestle with a pinch of coarse sea salt and the same of sugar. I set this to one side and then added the diced beet root to the sweet potato. I turned the heat up and stirred until all of the liquid had evaporated and then added a good pat of clarified butter and the spices.

Next I added 1 coarsely chopped spring onion, a little green Tabasco and a drizzle of honey. Stir for a further 5 minutes and serve with a simple garnish of parsley and enjoy with some steamed Basmati rice, or just as it is with some fresh white bread... delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment