Wednesday 14 December 2011

Itty-Bitty-Fruities

Piccoli Pasticini di Frutta
Mini Fruit Pastries



I am almost to embarrassed to write these things up- but there you go- I am shameless and doing it all the same! I had a little leftover puff pastry in the fridge, 3 little figs, a handful of cumquat's... and a craving for something sweet! Good combination to create something in a hurry- the only other ingredients I needed were Cointreau and honey- and away I went!

I brought a small glassful of Cointreau to the boil and added a couple of tablespoons of honey and a little cinnamon, stirred it well and turned off the heat. I added the fruit slices and stirred them gently and then allowed them to cool whilst I prepared the pastry bases.


I cut out the pastry using my handy little ravioli tool- although of course, you can just use a small glass if you do not have a cutter- or indeed cut the pastry into squares or any other shape. I simply placed a slice of fruit in the center of each pastry base- you cant get any easier than that- really!

Off they went into a pre-heated oven at 170-180 °C for around 15 minutes- or until the pastry begins to puff up nicely. At that point, fetch them out and sprinkle them lightly with sugar. Now back in they go and under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until everything becomes a nice golden brown and the sugar caramelizes on the fruit slightly.


At least I admitted they were practically an embarrassment as far as the level of difficulty goes- but these simple little pastries are simply super-light, pretty and delicious. And what more do you need them to be than that?

Serve them as a little snack to accompany an espresso or cappucino, or serve 4-5 of them with some whipped cream or custard... but whatever you do- don't throw away those little bits of pastry-  have some fun and do something with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment