Sunday 11 December 2011

...a GRATE Little Soup!

Zuppa di Patate Dolce con Zucchine e Pomodoro Secco
Sweet Potato, Zucchini & Sun-Dried Tomato Soup


Are you one of those people who thinks that it takes a long time to make a good and tasty soup? Do you think that the quick way to do it is to open a can? How sad! You would never catch me eating soup from a can- unless of course I am forced to do it as a survivor of a nuclear war or something. Nope- I make my own soups! And when I am short on time- I sometimes do something a little bit like this...

The whole secret here, is the preparation of the main ingredients and how I went about it. Those ingredients were, sweet potato, ginger, celery, garlic and onion and what I did with them was that I didn't chop them, but grated them. The great (grate) thing about it is that you needn't peel the ginger or the celery- you will find that the stringy sinews of the celery and the skin of the ginger do not go through the grater- so you have already saved time there!


Once they were grated, I added them, along with some finely chopped bacon, into a saucepan and started to brown them gently. You already have a great combination of flavors going right there, but I also added some grated nutmeg, chili and lime juice and then deglazed the saucepan with some boiling water- just enough to coat the potatoes. Stir well with a wooden spoon and soon the grated potato will begin to blend together into a smooth paste. Keep adding hot water a little at a time until you have a nice smooth consistency and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.

Basically, that is all there is to it- except for the handful of finely diced sun-dried tomato and parsley that I added at the end. The only thing left to do now was to dish it up and enjoy! And I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment