Saturday 17 September 2011

Deep Blue

Maccheroni con Gorgonzola, Cipolle Rosse, Spinaci, Pere e Noci
Macaroni with Gorgonzola, Red Onions, Spinach, Pear and Walnuts


This is a new twist on the well loved pasta with gorgonzola sauce. It is maybe well loved, but at the same time, I am sure that 9 out of 10 people that you ask, will tell you it is delicious but SO filling. So I decided to try something a little different and I hope you like it. I know that I did!

The macaroni are going to take between 10-12 minutes to boil- so let's get them going first. It will be a bit of a rush- but if we stay sharp, it IS possible, to have the rest ready before the pasta is!

Let's start by doing a fine dice of carrot and celery and starting that frying in a dry pan with some finely diced bacon. Add some chopped garlic after the first minute or so, carry on frying and then set to one side for later. I did the same thing with the pear, which I cut into bite-sized chunks and fried in a touch of butter with coriander powder- which gives it a great flavor. I fried the pear for 2-3 minutes and then set that to one side too.


The next step was to toast the walnuts and set those to one side... nuff said. The same basically for the red onion, which was simply sliced and sautéed with a hint of sugar. And now we are almost done... Check those noodles and when they are almost done, turn the heat down, drain, return to the stove and add the gorgonzola. Season with pepper only as it tends to be rather salty and add a good splash of milk, so that the cheese can melt better and easier.


Whilst the pasta continues to cook, grate with nutmeg and add some very finely chopped fresh spinach... and by now we are ready to serve and to enjoy! Add the other ingredients to bring everything back up to temperature and grab a hold of your taste buds as this may well send them into orbit!

2 comments:

  1. This one is packed with delicious flavors, a little bit of Autumn on a plate, eh? Your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Frank! How did I already know it would be you, when I saw there was a comment posted?! Thank you my friend- I just do my best and I love what I do!Thanks for the attention and appreciation! I still love what you are doing on your blog too- was looking at it on Facebook today- excellend stuff! Hope you like the arancini posting too! Best wishes from Frankfurt and every success with your blog too! Francesco

    ReplyDelete