Sunday 11 September 2011

Almost Asian Hot Pot!

Brasato di Manzo al Zenzero con la Pasta Asiatico
Braised Beef with Ginger and  Asian Noodles


This is an easy, inexpensive dish you are going to love- all you are going to need is some chuck steak (or similar, fresh ginger, garlic and some Chinese 5-Spice mix... the rest will happen all by itself!

I cut myself a couple of small but relatively thick slices of steak and browned them at a very high heat, with some chopped garlic, a little celery and a little onion. Oh- and a few slices of ginger which I set to one side to use as a garnish later on...

Once the meat is browned, flip it over and do the same again for the other side. This is not about sealing pores, or any such nonsense, it is about getting some nice roasted aromas into our dish. Season generously with Chinese 5-spice, dark soy sauce, crushed black pepper, a couple of teaspoons of finely grated ginger, honey and lime juice and then de-glaze the pan with sherry. Fill the pan up with beef stock until the meat is covered, add a couple of bay leaves and return to a low simmer for 2-3 hrs. And I am sorry to say that there is nothing more to it than that!


I served mine on a bed of Asian egg noodles which I popped into the delicious broth from the beef for 3-4 minutes- I told you this was another easy meal! I shredded some spring onion greens as a simple garnish, the ginger slices that I saved from earlier on and a few chili threads for a hint of added color. And of course the perfect addition to a dish like this was a drizzle of toasted sesame oil... and you know that the results have simply got to taste good! Rich an hearty and satisfying, now that our days are getting shorter and the evenings are getting darker and cooler...

No comments:

Post a Comment