Monday 11 January 2016

Cross My Buns!

Panini, Pera, Coriandolo, Uva Secca, Nocciole & Camembert
Breakfast Rolls with Pear, Coriander, Raisins, Hazelnuts & Camembert


Off to a late start on a Sunday morning and craving breakfast (the only day in the week that I ever HAVE breakfast), I was not really in the mood to do a lot of work to prepare it... but at the same time, I wanted something exciting and tasty and different... as is so often the way.

And so- what did I do?

Well- quite obviously, I did THIS- I made THESE rolls and they were THAT good that I am telling you all about them- right now!



I have to say- this is a great flavor combination! I had thought of just enjoying the pear, cheese, nuts and raisins raw- maybe after a meal at some point. But then thought... I can do better than that- and why wait? I can do something cool with them now and have them for breakfast instead!

And so I did!



All I needed to transform 2 rye bread rolls into a wonderful breakfast, was 1 pear, a little handful each of hazelnuts and raisins, a half of a camembert cheese and about 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds.


The combination of the sweet pear and raisins, with the mild, aromatic spice of the coriander, the creamy cheese and the crunchy nuts was- well... pretty delicious! Be adventurous, try it and find out!


To make this great little snack, peel the pear, cut it into quarter and remove the core and then cut the quarters into small slices. Pop the pear into a small saucepan with just enough water in it to cover the base, then add the raisins, which I chopped a little and the coriander seeds, which I ground using a mortar and pestle.


Cook the pear and raisins for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all of the water has been absorbed and it becomes slightly soft and transparent. Oh... and it will be smelling SO wonderful and aromatic with that coriander! 

Remember- what cinnamon is to apples, coriander is to pears... Word!



Toast the crust side of the rolls first, then flip them over and spoon the pear and raisins on top, then add the hazelnuts, which I simply chopped in half.


The finishing touch is a couple of thin slices of camembert, which I laid in a cross on top... it doesn't take much and it is all about the balance... so less is more here.

Toast until golden brown and delicious... then grab yourself a mug of coffee or two and enjoy!



Not too shabby looking either- are they?


And of course- they taste as good as they look! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment