Thursday 10 July 2014

Indian Summertime Special

Pasta Estiva con Sugo di Yogurt al Curry, Mela, Banana & Mandorle Tostate 
Summer Pasta with Yogurt Curry Sauce, Apple, Banana & Toasted Almonds


This is a dish that I have been making for years, but hadn't eaten in a long while and one I haven't posted on my blog yet... So here it is! The best thing about it is that it used up a whole lot of left-over nits and pieces this evening... And that's a good thing!

Left-overs of pasta, my last ripe banana, an apple, a shallot, my last few scoops of yogurt... And an absolute favorite of mine was ready and delicious in just 10-15 minutes at the most! Yay! Everybody loves a quick and tasty recipe!


This is an elaboration of mine on a recipe taught to me by an old friend... A recipe which I was very reluctant to try at first when I first heard that it was a pasta dish with bananas in it... But oh my! it was a case of love at first bite when I DID try it!


The basic ingredients for enough sauce to prepare 2 portions of pasta are easy to remember- they are: 1 small apple, 1 small banana, 1 small onion or a shallot, 1 small pot of plain yogurt and a half teaspoon each of turmeric and garam masala.

The rest are the additions that make this recipe my own... A handful of raisins, a handful of toasted almonds, 4-5 cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.


Of course the other wonderful thing about this dish, apart from the fact that it looks wonderful and tastes even better... Is that it is so healthy too! That, as well as impressing your friends with something funky, new and and delicious are more than reason enough to give this a go! And I hope you enjoy it as much as I do if you do!


First off, pop yourself a handful of slivered almonds into a dry frying pan to toast on a moderate heat whilst you finely dice the shallot or onion, along with the apple, the banana and the tomatoes.

As soon as the almonds begin to brown, remove them from the heat and let them finish browning in the residual heat of the frying pan. Once they are brown enough, pour them into a dish to cool and set them to one side.


Once you pasta is in your saucepan, bubbling away, stir- fry the onion until it becomes translucent, then addd the apple and continue until it begins to go brown, then add the yogurt, the garam masala and turmeric and that handful of raisins and give them all a good stir.


Blend everything together and reduce the heat to low, so as to not let the yogurt curdle... Not too much anyway!


Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes, until,the pasta is done and then pour the pasta into the hot frying pan and stir everything together well until it is nicely coated. In this case I had just a handful each of penne rigate & fusilli and they made for a fun mix for this meal- but you can use any pasta you have handy, or that you prefer!


Sue arson with plenty of freshly grated pepper, scatter with a few cherry tomatoes for some freshness, the almonds for a bit of crunch and the basil leaves for some rich and pungent contrast... A pretty delicious combination, I'd say!


Exotic but mild, once people manage to "get their heads around" the fact that there are fruits hiding in the ingredient list for this dish... I am pretty sure they are going to like it! And you too!


And to think I doubted the wonder of this dish! Just take a look at it! I wonder if you love it too!?!


Grab a fork and join me at the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment