Sunday 27 July 2014

Hot & Cool Salad

Semplice Insalata di Cetriolo & Rucola, con Yogurt, Miele, Peperoncino & Limone
Simple Cucumber & Arugula Salad with Yogurt, Honey, Lemon, and fresh Chili Dressing


 

As you may know, lunch is a meal that does not usually exist for me... I have to be as careful as anyone else to stay in trim. Usually, unless I am going crazy on vacation , my breakfast consists of 1 banana- period and my lunch of a couple of apples and an orange... and I have to be patient until suppertime, when I can come home and cook something nice for all of you- and me too of course!

But today, it was hot, I was hungry and the cucumber and arugula just needed to be used-up... and so I made this, did the right thing and had a lunch that will hardly damage my regime! Oh- and yes, I will be preparing supper in just an hour or so too! haha!


 
So, yes, this was ultra-simple, ultra- speedy and ultra-light and healthy to boot! Nothing too exciting going on here, for sure, but its a nice refreshing salad for a hot and sunny day... and that's fine by me!


 

The ingredients were, one good handful of arugula, 1 small cucumber, 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt, about 1/2 of a fresh chili pepper (depending on how hot it is!), lemon zest, lemon juice and honey. That's it. It's all you need!

 

Obviously, this is an excellent side-dish to any Summer meal- it has clean, fresh flavors and blends wonderfully with meat or fish! Keeping things simple is better most times!

 

This is so easy to make- cut the cucumber into quarters lengthways and remove the seeds with a diagonal cut and chop into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop-up 2-3 slices of lemon zest and dice the chili pepper as finely as you can... remove those seeds though! They are what makes those devils so hot!

 

Add the yogurt, lemon zest, finely diced chili and a nice trickle of honey and the juice of half a lemon to the cucumber pieces and season with salt...

 

 Stir together and set to one side for 5-10 minutes for all of the flavors to combine. You will notice there has not been any oil added so far.

 

Serve the richly dressed cucumber salad on top of a bed of arugula and now add some olive oil... leave it till last and let it retain its own character and to contrast and compliment the other flavors.

 

And that's it! Very simple, it's true- but also simply delicious- and so why mess around with a nice combination? Don't! Just make it, grab a fork and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment