Sunday 14 October 2012

Bananie-Brekkie Pudding

Dolce di Banane e Tortilla al Forno
Banana-Tortilla Bread Pudding


And again the over-ripe banana post on a Sunday morning! Predictable? Maybe. Something to look forward to? Well... for me it still is! I never seem to get tired of or to run out of ideas for breakfast- and this one turned out really nicely- even if I do say so myself!

I started thinking it would be nice to make a traditional bread and butter pudding, something warming and comforting at this time of year. And I would have if I'd had some bread at home! The only thing that was there was the last couple of tortillas and of course the aforementioned ripe bananas. And who am I to keep things apart that are clearly meant to be together? So of course I didn't... I put them together into this wonderful little dish... and the rest my friends, is now history...


This really is a quick and easy one for all of you! In fact, the whole thing took just 25 minutes to make- not bad really, considering I was not quite awake when I started on it and had not started my first coffee of the day even!

The first thing I did was to cut the tortilla into stripes that were a little taller than the baking dish I intended to use- I did want the top to become nice and crisp after all! I laid the tortilla strips out in the dish, revolve each strip slightly so that the ends overlapped in a kind of spiral formation, so that everything would bind together better later. 



I then sliced up the bananas and slotted the slices in-between the layers of tortilla, starting from the outside and working my way in... easy stuff so far isn't it? And it doesn't get any more complicated either! Before I got busy with the rest though, I turned the oven on at the highest setting in order for it to be ready to go in a few minutes time!

Next, I prepared a little "royale" to pour over the tortillas and bananas. For this little dish of 2 tortillas and 2 bananas, I needed only 1 egg, a little milk, 2 tablespoons of semolina and 1 tablespoon of baking powder. I added the baking powder as an afterthought as I hoped it would puff the royal up a little in the oven and make sure that all of the gaps between the layers would fill up. I flavored it with a little vanilla essence, Stevia (but you can use sugar if you prefer), a little nutmeg, plenty of cinnamon, a squeeze of lemon juice and a tiny pinch of salt. I whisked this together and then poured it carefully all around the baking dish, making sure to pour a little into all of the gaps... then into the oven it went, covered with foil for the first 10 minutes and then, after sprinkling it with a little extra cinnamon and sugar, uncovered for 5 minutes more in order for it to turn crispy and brown... and delicious!


Once baked and slightly cooled, it became easy enough to slice and serve up... and to enjoy! With only just enough sweetness to make it delicious and plenty of good, natural banana flavor, this was a real treat and a healthy one at the same time! No butter, no cream, no excessive sugar... because there is no need! This is perfect just the way it is- and I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment