Tuesday 12 July 2011

Figment of the Imagination

Pizza con Salsiccia, Fichi, Gorgonzola e Peperoni
Pizza with Sausage, Fig, Blue Cheese and Pimento Pepper


I had to work late again tonight and worse still, by the time I got out of the office, it was pouring with rain. I love Summer in Frankfurt! I hope the girls don't hate me for this, but of course I decided to pass on the food they ordered in as I knew I would be cooking when I got home. They ordered pizza, which I am sure they found to be yummy and good. But I reckon my home-made pizza tasted better! 

With pizza, of course, it is all about the toppings and there are a million and one variations that we can choose from. I wanted to make something to bring a little sunshine back into my day- even though it was way after 9pm and raining... 

So I reached for the last fig I had in the fridge, the last of the pimento peppers, a hunk of blue cheese, a few slices of spicy sausage, a spring onion and 3 or 4 olives. In less time than it would have taken to have a pizza delivered, I had this little baby bubbling away under the broiler and ready to go! 



Once again, I threw this thing into the frying pan to get the dough started- it is quicker and far more economical if you are only going to make one pizza- and it will definitely give you a crunchier base. Thin and crispy is the way to go- especially for a Summertime snack like this. 

Give the dough 4-5 minutes in a hot, dry Teflon pan to get the bottom nice and brown and then flip it for 1-2 minutes more on the other side. Before the top side gets too brown, add your topping, as this will only take a couple of minutes to cook under the broiler and you don't want the dough to burn. I laid out the figs first and then added the sausage and peppers, some rosemary leaves and a sprinkle of oregano. I then spread out some bits of blue cheese evenly... these will melt really quickly and help to stick all of the other ingredients in place. Sprinkle with a few chili flakes, drizzle lightly with honey and a few drops of olive oil and toast under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown!





No comments:

Post a Comment