Thursday 30 July 2015

Little Pepper Pots!

Sfogliatine Salate con Ricotta, Peperone, Pancetta & Erbe Miste
Savory Puff Pastries with Ricotta, Red Pepper, Bacon & Mixed Herbs

 

These lovely little puff-pastries, savory and delicious as can be, were quickly put together in next to no time... And they were probably eaten up every bit as quickly- or even quicker!

With next to nothing in the fridge, but plenty of imagination... and an always useful roll of emergency puff-pastry, I managed to come up with these great snacks for this evening, which would be super-wonderful next time I am throwing a party!



I could have made an omelette or a frittata I suppose, or a pepper stuffed with rice or something... Three things that would have been nice suppers too...

But, instead, I made these!

I can't help being so brilliant sometimes... It just happens! Haha!



To make enough filling for 4 little pastries, I needed just 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of fresh ricotta, 1 shallot, 1 sweet red pepper, a small handful of chopped bacon and some fresh herbs- rosemary, parsley and mint in this case. I seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg- with a little pinch of cayenne just to make them a little more exciting!


If the sight of these little beauties doesn't make you happy... And hungry... Then I don't know what will! But I am not going to spend too much time pondering that thought... I am going to carry on eating mine whilst I write-up how to make them for all of you good people out there!

 
 
Here's some good news... The only prep work you need to do is to finely dice maybe a quarter of the pepper... As for the rest of the ingredients, they can be coarsely chopped, or in the case of the herbs, simply plucked from the stems... Because they are all going to end up in a blender all the same!

 

Put the ricotta, egg, herbs, pepper and spices into your blender and give them a good whizz for 1-2 minutes. In the meantime, turn on the oven and get it ready for action!

 

Cut yourself circles of pastry that are almost twice as big as the dishes or ramekins you are going to use... Or if you are going to make more of them, you can always use a muffin tray too!


Ease the pastry down gently into place and press down carefully, so as not to stretch the soft dough and make it too thin- it would be a shame if any of that filling was to spill out!

 

Spoon in the filling and sprinkle with the finely chopped bacon and pepper to give them a colorful and decorative finish, then bake in a hot oven, at 180C, for 25-30 minutes, until they are puffed-up, golden and delicious!

 

Doesn't that just look delicious!?!


Wonderful piping-hot, but probably also cold... Except that I ate mine all up, straight from the oven, so I guess I will never know! Unless I make them again, that is!

And do you know what? Somehow I think I may do just that!

 

The pepper gives the ricotta and egg batter such a deep flavor, that with all of those fresh herbs and the salty bacon, these really are a winning combination! And if you dare to add that hint of cayenne, they become even better as party snacks... Your cocktails will never have tasted so good as with these! Give them a try and I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment