Tuesday 28 April 2015

I Propose a Toast!

Crostini con Cimetti di Rapa, Ricotta Salata & Pomodori Secche
Crostini with Tender Broccoli Rabe, Salted Ricotta & Sun-Dried Tomatoes


It was snack-time again this suppertime- just some little toasted rolls with a little this and that- but maybe not what most people would put on a roll... unless they are from Southern Italy, that is!

This was a great, light combination of tender and bitter-sweet broccoli rabe with salty and tangy ricotta and sun-dried tomatoes- and absolutely delicious it was too!


 

Perfect snacks to enjoy by yourself or as a part of a party spread maybe- and like I said- different and therefore (in my book anyway)- fun!

 

2 little rye rolls, 2 tender stalks of broccoli rabe, a Spring onion for added sweetness. 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, salted ricotta, salt, pepper and good olive oil... is all that I needed to be happy and full this evening!
 
 

Really simple- but that is the way we eat down in the South- and trust me- this has all of the flavors that remind me of home- bitter, sweet, salty, earthy and delicious!

 
 
To prepare the broccoli rabe, I placed it into a frying pan along with the onion, which I cut into strips, then salted it lightly and covered with boiling water. Once it was cooking at a rolling boil, I reduced the heat to a simmer, put on the lid and let it cook down for 15 minutes until it was tender. I then poured off the remaining water and drizzled it with olive oil, tossed it, put the lid back on and let it rest whilst I toasted the rolls.

 

By that time, the broccoli rabe was tender and sweetened by the onions and nicely coated in aromatic olive oil- ready to be popped onto the rolls first...

 

...and then to be dressed up in a fancy shower of grated salted ricotta and the sun-dried tomatoes, which I cut into thin shreds. A drop or two more olive oil, a last sprinkle of pepper... and I was ready to go!

 

It sounds simple, it IS simple- but the combination is so good- and that is all you need to make good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment