Sunday 16 March 2014

Undercover Breakfast

Fritella Dolce di Cocco con Cuore di Banane e Mirtillo
Coconut Pancake with Hidden Banana & Cranberries


Hurrah- it's Sunday and I finally have time for breakfast again! Ok, on Saturdays I do like to make myself some oatmeal when I am at home, but on a weekday, I usually rush off to the office and than have a banana and a coffee- that's just the way it is!

But as you may have noticed, sometimes at the end of the week I find myself with a banana or two left over, slightly over-ripe and demanding immediate attention- which is fine if it is a Sunday morning... It has become almost a tradition and a challenge for me to endeavor to give those left-over bananas a good send-off... but they are so tasty that they deserve it!

 

The ingredients are nice and easy to remember- 2 bananas, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of coconut, 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 teaspoons of yogurt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 2 teaspoons of cranberry jam. That's is almost "two" easy for words! And the result is a nice, fluffy pancake that is big enough for two, too! 

So- if you feel like giving this a try, this is all you need to do...


Mash the first banana up with a fork and add the cinnamon... nice and easy so far, isn't it? The good thing is- it's not going to get any more difficult either!


Crack the eggs, add the yolks to the mashed banana and set the whites to one side. Add the yogurt and mix it into the yolks and banana first, then the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk until they are nice and smooth. I actually didn't sweeten my pancake at all and relied on the sweetness of the bananas and the jam to do that for me- but if you feel like that may not be sweet enough for you- this would be the time to add some sugar... maybe... 2 teaspoons? ;-)


Next step would be to turn on the oven to 350°F to get it hot and ready- and to whisk up the egg whites into nice fluffy white peaks. Ok- a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar will help to make this firmer and to maintain its "body"- so yeah- you caught me out and I did add a little extra sugar after all!


Gently fold in the egg-whites to the banana batter until it is nice and smooth and pout half of it into a small non-stick pan. Whether you add butter or not depends on a.) how good your pan is and b.) your personal preference. I, as you may have guessed, did without. There is no real reason to be so radical about using butter in making this... mainly I did it because I would have had more of a guilty conscience than I already had... because I ate the whole thing! Haha!


Pour half of the mixture into the frying pan and let it cook and set for 2-3 minutes. Once you see bubbles beginning to form and rise up to the surface, you can assume that the base is set and firm and that is the time to add the second banana, cut into slices and to gently float them on top. Don't press the banana down- this way the whole thing will stay nice and fluffy and light and they will be floating in the middle rather than sunken down to the bottom. Add a blob of cranberry jam (or any other you may prefer) here and there in-between the banana slices and sprinkle with coconut.


Now carefully spoon the other half of the fluffy batter over the top, making sure to cover everything nice and evenly and sprinkle generously with coconut flakes to finish. Pop the  pancake into the oven on a medium shelf to bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

After 15 minutes, your pancake should look something like this! Are you drooling yet? Well, let me tell you- you will be when you make it- the aroma is something quite terrific!


So- you have made use of 2 bananas and 2 eggs and made something kinda wonderful- I would say that is something kinda wonderful in itself! Time to pour a nice hot mug of coffee and sit back feeling pleased with yourselves and enjoy!


Again- I think a final word needs to be said about appreciating the natural sweetness of the ingredients here. You need not cut out the sugar completely, but I think it is worth cutting back and learning to savor foods own inherent flavor rather than overpowering it with sugar- I think it is a good idea to change some of those bad habits if we can- especially if we can still enjoy something as nice as this :-) 

End of sermon- now it's time to get eatin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment