Sunday 22 September 2013

Roll-Over, Bake-Oven!

Panini Dolce, con Cocco, Pistacchio e Fichi Fresche
Breakfast Buns with Coconut, Pistachio & Fresh Figs


Sunday Morning- time for breakfast again! And time for me to get inventive again, as you all know that I am neither a great cook of things sweet, I am not a baker by any means and I do like to treat myself to something nice on a Sunday, as I don't usually have a sit-down breakfast any other day of the week...

So it was time to improvise again! I only have the next 5 days to work (and cook!), before I leave on vacation and these are always the days that I get busy using up any bits and pieces I have in the fridge. And yes, I sometimes come up with cool ideas like this one! 


I was in the mood for something a little sweet, not savory this morning... but I never like my sweets to be TOO sweet- so I came up with this idea to make great use of a nice fresh fig I had picked up at the market hall and add just the minimum of further sweetening in the form of a little honey- the fig was pretty out of this world!

I made these out of 1 roll of store-bought pizza base. I simply cut it into 4 strips and then transformed them into these incredible rolls- what a great use for that stuff! I have made those yummy, stuffed, twisty Sicilian breads before and these was not all that different- just a little smaller and a little less twisted- haha!

To make them, I simply sprinkled each rectangle of pizza dough with grated coconut and grated pistacchio, then laid 3 slices of fig on top, length-ways, so as to keep them in a narrow line, down the middle of each strip of dough. I sprinkled a little cinnamon onto the figs and then folded the dough over the top of them from left and right, sealing everything in. And then I rolled up the tube of dough, with the overlapping seam on the inside, to keep everything smooth from the outside and tightly sealed... perfect!


Onto a dry, non-stick pan they went, on the stove top, for 3-4 minutes, in order to give the base a head start at baking, and in the meantime I turned the oven on to 350°F.  After the base of the rolls had baked firm and released itself from the pan when given a little shake, I popped them into the oven for 4-5 minutes to bake. 

After that time, I fetched them out and made 2 cuts into the top of each roll, in an "X". I then drizzled each roll with honey and popped them back into the oven for a further 3-4 minutes until they were golden and puffy and brown... and smelling delicious!

Whilst they were still hot and steaming and sticky with honey, I gave them a generous extra sprinkle of pistachio- and got the coffee ready! What a yummy treat for breakfast! And so easy to make! What's more... I am pretty sure you are going to love 'em! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment