Monday 1 August 2011

Wolf in Lambs Clothing

Spiedini di Agnello alla Menta su Cuscus Aromatico con Basilico e Pomodorini
Minty Ground Lamb Skewers on Aromatic Couscous with Basil and Cherry Tomatoes




Yes, I am indeed proud of myself over this evenings meal! The last little handful of ground lamb, a scoop of couscous and a few odds and ends and I am continuing on my quest to empty the fridge before I leave! And doing a mighty fine job of it may I add! It really is astounding, even to myself at time, just how little you need to put together a good and satisfying meal. My dad always said that hunger is the most important ingredient in any meal- and he has a valid point! But the most important spice is imagination. Fortunately, I have a great deal of both come suppertime!


For the couscous, I boiled up some chicken broth and poured it over the couscous until it was covered. Whilst it was absorbing the liquid, I quickly chopped a spring onion, a handful of parsley and a handful of cilantro, which I added whilst it was still warm. I also added a teaspoon of turmeric and a half teaspoon of powdered ginger, along with the juice and zest of a lemon. The whole thing was rounded off with a good drizzle of honey and a little grated ginger, then fluffed-up and allowed to cool whilst I prepared the skewers.




The skewers were made of a simple mix of ground lamb, finely chopped shallots, parsley, plenty of mint, nutmeg, coriander powder, a good pinch of cayenne and a little sumac. I added a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, just to help bind the mix a little better. Knead together until you have a nice, compact mix and roll into separate portions that you can skewer and fry in a dry Teflon pan... as usual! There really IS enough fat in there folks- as you will soon see once the heat is on!


The skewers should be ready in 5-6 minutes, which will give you plenty of time to prepare the couscous and sides for serving. I pressed my couscous into a shallow dish to get it in shape and then drizzled it lightly with sesame oil. Around the outside, I had basil, cherry tomatoes and black olives... which as well as looking pretty, combined really well with the couscous later... the mix, together with the lamb skewers is slightly oriental... and very delicious! And all put together in just a few short minutes! Just as you have learned to expect from me! And have I ever let you down yet? Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks, and sounds, like a very yummy combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the look and sound of it Jenny... I think you would like the taste too... I did! Best wishes, Francesco

    ReplyDelete