Friday 22 April 2011

Porky Pig's Apple Pies...

Crostate di Mele con Pancetta
Apple and Bacon Pastries


This is another easy Summer treat, based strangely enough on something I was served up as a Winter appetizer. Basically it was apple rings with a bacon topping, which were roasted in the oven till they became crispy and brown.

The salty bacon and the sweet apple taste wonderful together! So I set out on a mission to make something even more wonderful...

I decided to use Granny Smiths for this- I thought a tangy flavor would be much better suited for a Summer dish. I cored them and cut them into slices of about an inch thick. Then I cut some pre-made puff pastry into squares of a slightly larger size than my apples and popped them into the oven to start baking. In the meantime, I spread the apples thickly with mustard and sprinkled the bacon on top. Very, very easy. When the pastry has been in for around 5 minutes, fetch it out and place your apple slices on top and put them back in for another 5-10 minutes. This gave me time to slice a spring onion finely. I didn't want to put this in too early because it would burn... the last 5 minutes is enough, which is also the time that I added a sprinkle of cumin seeds and a light drizzle of honey... mmmm!



And trust me... there are not many things you can throw together, made from an apple, a spring onion and half a pack of pastry that can compare to this... they are definitely at as good as they look! You can take my word for it!

So what are you waiting for?!?!

Turn on that oven and get cracking- you know you want to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment