Thursday 28 April 2011

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Indivie al Forno con Pomodori
Mediterranean Baked Endives with Grilled Tomatoes


This is going to be my last entry before my vacation... so of course it is going to include the last contents of my fridge! Which were tonight, basically 3 endives (hence the title of this posting) a couple of eggs, a handful of cherry tomatoes and little else... But with a little imagination... I STILL managed to put together and almost-vegetarian dish for you all... enjoy!

I started off by halving the endives and removing the leaves in the middle to leave a hollow. I then popped then into boiling water, to which I had given a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I let them boil for 2-3 minutes- no longer. This leaves them still firm but takes away the bitterness. Let them dry whilst you get on with the rest.

The few other ingredients I had were: a spring onion, a small chunk of parmesan, a few chopped bacon bits and a handful of black olives.

The first thing I did was to slice the tomatoes in half, salt, pepper and sugar them and put them into the oven at maximum heat for 20 mins. This gave me time to do the rest of my prep work. Time to get cracking!

This meant beating the eggs, adding the chopped onion, some mint, thyme, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper.

After 20 minutes, I fetched out the tomatoes, squashed them down with a fork and gave them a little sprinkle of sugar. Then I arranged the endives in my dish. I carefully poured the egg mix into them and sprinkled the bacon bits and olives on top and a little parmesan cheese. They went back into the oven for 10 minutes until the egg mix had set and for a further 5 under the broiler to get them nice and brown...


And there you go- a very light little addition to a light Summer meal.

Oh I just love making something from nothing!

Still... my next recipe will be written when I have some fresh groceries...and will be a little more substantial, I promise!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, yummy recipe! You are quite innovative. Lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Purabi! Much appreciated... there will be more coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Amazing what a little imagination can do, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Frank! I am glad you like it! I hope to be back on track with some new recipes real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic dinner for a summer night...thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete